My Pledge on Expenses

Wednesday 20 May 2009

The Westminster expenses scandal raises a cloud of suspicion around all those who seek to represent their political parties.

As a measure of my intention to try and restore an element of trust between voters and political representatives, as a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate I would like to put on record the following five pledges which will govern my conduct if I am elected to Parliament.

  1. As a parliamentary candidate I will subscribe to the highest standards of integrity, transparency, accountability and financial economy

  2. I seek elected office not for personal gain but to serve the public and our democracy, which I consider an honour and a privilege

  3. I will publish my expenses online within a month of submitting them and publicise them annually in full to my constituents

  4. I will hold regular meetings with my community and will regularly report back to my constituency party

  5. I will apply the principle of best value to all decisions I make which involve the use of public money to cover my duties, including for travel and accommodation.

A great many of our current Members of Parliament already embody these principles in their day-to-day conduct and their example should be recognised. We cannot return to a system where only those who are already independently wealthy can put themselves forward for election to Parliament, so necessary reforms to the system of MPs’ expenses and allowances should reflect the need for those representing constituencies outside Greater London - especially from areas like the Highlands - to claim for appropriate accommodation and travel expenses. In the absence, however, of a decision on the final form of the new system, these pledges will act as my guide if I have the honour of being elected to the House of Commons.

1 comments:

Nairn said...

You stated Mr Robb that you would publish details of your expenses on line - could you give us the link for this site please?

About This Blog

Promoted and published by INBS Labour Party on behalf of Mike Robb, all at 1Fraser Street, Inverness, IV1 1DW

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP