My Manifesto for the Highlands

Friday 23 April 2010

Labour has now set out its plans and policies if it is elected to form the next government. Our national priorities are to re-build our economy, renew society and restore trust in our battered political system.

Here in the Highlands, my election campaign develops these ideas into five local priorities:

- protecting front line services – nurseries, community centres, day care – whilst we secure the recovery. Local jobs and services should not pay the price for bailing out the banks

- making the case for vital investments in the Highland economy; the Inverness City Bypass, better rail links south and east and high speed broadband

- radical action to build more affordable homes, to rent as well as buy

- being tough when we need to be on anti social behaviour to keep our communities safe

- action on fuel bills so we can all afford to keep warm in the winter, including home insulation schemes as well as a price regulator.

My campaign won’t be based on glitzy newsletters or high-tech media conferences. I’ll be out and about meeting as many local people as I can, on their doorsteps and in their communities. Old fashioned campaigning, but an effective way for people to judge and question me face to face and decide whether I am someone they can trust to represent them.

Most people I talk to worry about their jobs and their local services. Highland Council’s consultation on proposed areas for budget cuts is a big issue. I’ve already made clear my support for the Swimming Pool in Nairn and the six community centres in Inverness threatened with closure. We should not be pitching one community against another in this way. These are exactly the kind of front-line services we should be protecting. The cost-savings would be small compared to the damage to local communities. I’ll be fighting to save them.

3 comments:

Nairn said...

Taking your complete lack of replies to any comments left on your blog (thus far), should we all assume that we have to wait for "old fashioned campaigning" and your chap on our front doors if we wish to discuss anything further with you?

Just curious...

Nairn said...

Election day and I thought I would take another look at your blog Mike to see if there had been an update but sadly no, no new posts and no updates to any comments which have been left

You ticked all the boxes for the 2010 electronic election campaign, Twitter, web page, and this blog but seemed to neglect to use them properly which made them less than useless.

It was in fact very disappointing for any reader like myself who took the time to read your sporadic posts and came back to see what if anything was new (very little). I was expecting to see daily updates as election day loomed, but no

Did New Labour just get too old for this campaign? The results say it all, and maybe so does this blog!

Mike Robb said...

Nairn
I consider myself rightly chastised. The last few days of a campaign leave little time for new blogging (try it sometime if you don't believe me)and my mailbox was so swamped with emails on every other subject I must have missed the alerts that I had comments.
A lesson learned for the future, however. All the best.

About This Blog

Promoted and published by INBS Labour Party on behalf of Mike Robb, all at 1Fraser Street, Inverness, IV1 1DW

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP